You can file your tax return yourself.
Income Tax Return: Filing an ITR is an essential aspect of complying with the provisions of the Income Tax Act.
Tax return AF 2022-23 : It is possible for an individual to file his own income tax return (ITR). The process has been simplified in recent years and the government has introduced various online tools and resources to help taxpayers.
To file your ITR, you will need to gather all the necessary documents and information. You can then visit the Department of Income Tax e-filing website (https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/) and follow the step-by-step instructions to file your return online .
You can file your tax return yourself. However, if you are not comfortable with filing your ITR, you can also seek help from a tax professional. However, it is important to note that there may be charges for using these services.
All in all, it’s definitely possible to do it on your own with some preparation and guidance. Keep the following documents and information ready for transparent ITR filing;
- PAN card (permanent account number)
- Aadhaar card or Aadhaar number
- Bank details including IFSC code
- Form 16 or salary certificate from your employer (if you are an employee)
- TDS (withholding tax) certificate(s) (Form 16A/16B/16C) for tax deducted by other entities such as banks or mutual funds
- Details of income from other sources, such as interest income, rental income or capital gains
- Investment evidence for tax deductions under Sections 80C to 80U of the Income Tax Act, such as Provident Fund (PF), Public Provident Fund (PPF), Insurance Premium National Savings Certificates (NSC), Equity Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS), etc.
- Details of any tax payments made in the form of withholding tax, self-assessment tax or TDS
- Details of tax exemptions or deductions claimed under various sections of the Income Tax Act.
Taxpayers should keep a record of all documents filed with tax authorities for future reference. Once you have all the necessary documents and information ready, you can file your ITR offline or online through the Department of Income Tax’s e-filing website (https://www.incometax.gov. in/iec/foportal/).
Filing an ITR is an essential aspect of complying with the provisions of the Income Tax Act and serves a variety of purposes such as providing proof of income, requesting refunds, deferring losses and avoiding penalties.
Read all the latest business news, tax news and stock market updates here